Human Resource Development
Very few people have formal training in human resources before assuming an HR position. Often, these professionals earn their slots through their people skills and company experience. In this era of rapidly-changing regulation, it is vital that HR professionals stay current with legalities and best practices that apply to their businesses. Our mission is to be the leading human resource partner for employers in Western North Carolina. For more information call WCI at 828.667.3311 or download the current HR brochure.
Human Resource Member Benefits
- HR Training: all publicly offered HR training classes are member benefits (no charge)
- HR Hotline: unlimited telephone counsel from our HR advisors
- Attorney Services: 4 hours of free legal counsel from leading attorneys in business and employment law
- HR Answers Now: online access to our loaded toolbox of HR compliance documents, sample policies & forms, and daily articles on best practices
- HR Publications: NC Employer's Desk Manual and a full range of employer compliance and workplace posters are provided to members
- HR Audits: complimentary reviews of I-9 and other basic HR functions
- HR Recertification Credits: WCI is a preferred provider for HRCI and SHRM, with multiple ways to earn recertification credits
- See all the benefits of WCI Membership
- Additional (optional) HR services are listed below
HR4 Regional Seminar - OSHA & Workers Comp Best Practices
Learn the best practices for employers in the tangled web of safety laws and health claims. Attorney Bernard Tisdale will provide the latest legal updates and how to shape your policies and procedures for effective compliance. No cost for WCI members.
For your safety, the regional seminars planned for Asheville, Hickory, Boone, and Shelby have been consolidated into one virtual online seminar on December 8. All registrants will be notified and provided with a Zoom meeting link to attend.
Post Election 2020 - Virtual Seminar
In this "bonus" webinar, Ogletree Deakins attorneys will give employers their legal analysis of what may change as a result of the 2020 election:
- What to expect out of Washington
- Labor issues and predictions
- Employment law issues
NOTE: this program may be rescheduled once the election has been officially certified. All registrants will be kept informed of this scheduling issue.
Members of WCI and Employers Network are invited to attend at no charge, by registering as a "member". A Zoom meeting link will be sent to each registrant prior to the seminar.
HR4 Training Events
HR4 Online - OSHA & Workers Comp Best Practices
Post Election 2020 - Online Seminar
2021 HR Seminars
Next year's slate of HR seminars are currently being planned. They will bring you current relevant topics in human resource management. They will be posted here when scheduled.
WCI conducts two major conferences each year.
- Our HR Forum is a labor law conference that will expand your knowledge of employer compliance issues that will protect your organization from potential penalties, litigation, and risk. Topics are presented by attorneys from the Ogletree Deakins law firm. Our April 2020 HR Forum was cancelled due to the pandemic. Prepayments will be applied to the April 2021 Forum, unless a refund is requested.
- Our Issues in the Workplace interactive conference focuses on current challenges facing employers today, featuring member panel discussions, attorneys from McGuire Wood & Bissette law firm, and insightful and innovative speakers. This conference occurred on October 28, 2020. For your safety, it was converted to a shorter, online program.
HR Certification Guided Study
A popular and proven way to prepare for the national HRCI certification exams for PHR or SPHR. This program is a member benefit, for only the cost of study materials, and does not include the cost of the HRCI application or exam. Through five podcasts and telephone mentoring, plus personal study time, participants can significantly improve their odds of passing the exam. See recent testimonials here. The following areas will be studied:
- Business Management & Strategy
- Workforce Planning & Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Compensation & Benefits
- Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management
Call Ellen Steele at 828.210.1205 for more information or to enroll. You may also be interested in the HRCI vs SHRM comparison chart.
WCI Summer Series
A bite-sized series of employment law updates for HR professionals during May, June, July, and August. Participate live via Zoom or watch the recorded sessions at your convenience. Members can access the recorded archive of previous sessions (login required). Our 2020 sessions have been completed, and featured attorney Bernard Tisdale.
Human Resource Services
- Harassment Prevention for Employees: a training program in understanding what behaviors constitute harassment and how to use the employer's complaint procedure. This onsite training can be customized for your organization. A free video is also available for member use at any time.
- Harassment Prevention for Supervisors & Managers: an onsite training program to prepare employers for the likelihood of internal complaints, how to recognize inappropriate conduct in the workplace, and how to respond properly to prevent retaliation claims. This program is a member benefit.
- Individual Communications Mentoring: this program helps your select employees improve their communication skills, through four (4) biweekly coaching and mentoring sessions that include a behavioral assessment, communications self-analysis, customized communications training, and assertiveness skill development
- Union Avoidance Training: this onsite training for supervisors and managers will raise awareness of why employees seek representation, organization tactics, new NLRB rules for organization, and their role in prevention.
- Employee Engagement: this onsite seminar explores a low-cost initiative to move your workforce from apathetic to engaged, based on research by Dr. Paul Marciano's 7 drivers of employee engagement.
- HR Projects: our HR experts are available to assist you with projects on a fee-for-service basis, including larger scale HR audits, handbook development, job analyses, affirmative action plans, mentoring, and more.