Human Resource Development
Very few people have formal training in human resources before assuming an HR position. Often, these professionals earn their slots through their people skills and company experience. In this era of rapidly-changing regulation, it is vital that HR professionals stay current with legalities and best practices that apply to their businesses. Our mission is to be the leading human resource partner for employers in Western North Carolina. For more information call WCI at 828.667.3311 or download the current HR brochure.
Human Resource Member Benefits
- HR Training: all publicly offered HR training classes are member benefits (no charge)
- HR Video Library: all training videos are available to watch at no charge
- HR Hotline: unlimited telephone counsel from our HR advisors
- Attorney Services: 4 hours of free legal counsel from leading attorneys in business and employment law
- HR Answers Now: online access to our loaded toolbox of HR compliance documents, sample policies & forms, and daily articles on best practices
- HR Publications: NC Employer's Desk Manual and a full range of employer compliance and workplace posters are provided to members
- HR Audits: complimentary reviews of I-9 and other basic HR functions
- HR Recertification Credits: WCI is a preferred provider for HRCI and SHRM, with multiple ways to earn recertification credits
- See all the benefits of WCI Membership
- Additional (optional) HR services are listed below
HR Video Library
Many of the most common topics in human resource management and administration have been recorded in video format for members to watch at their convenience (login required). The videos are concise and cover employment law, HR processes, and even COVID topics. For the full list, go to our HR Video Library web page.
WCI Summer Series
A bite-sized series of employment law updates for HR professionals during May, June, July, and August, featuring attorney Bernard Tisdale. Participate live via Zoom or watch the recorded sessions at your convenience. Members can access the recorded archive of previous sessions (login required).
Summer Series Training Events
Summer Series - July Hot Topics
Summer Series - August Hot Topics
2021 HR Seminars
The following seminars are being developed with HR professionals in mind. They will bring you current relevant topics in human resource management. At this time, all programs will be online for your safety.
HR Seminars Training Events
Employee Engagement Essentials - HR3 Online
Change Your World through Leadership - HR4 Online
The Year in Review - HR Online
WCI conducts two major conferences each year.
- Our Issues in the Workplace interactive conference focuses on current challenges facing employers today, featuring member panel discussions, attorneys from McGuire Wood & Bissette law firm, and insightful and innovative speakers. Our next conference will be Wednesday, October 27, 2021, hopefully in person.
- Our HR Forum is a labor law conference that will expand your knowledge of employer compliance issues and help protect your organization from potential penalties, litigation, and risk. Topics are presented by attorneys from the Ogletree Deakins law firm. Our next HR Forum will be in April 2022.
Conferences Training EventsSee More Events
HR Certification Guided Study
A popular and proven way to prepare for the national HRCI certification exams for PHR or SPHR. This program is a member benefit, for only the cost of study materials, and does not include the cost of the HRCI application or exam. Through five podcasts and telephone mentoring, plus personal study time, participants can significantly improve their odds of passing the exam. See recent testimonials here. The following areas will be studied:
- Leadership & Strategy
- Talent Planning & Acquisition
- Learning & Development
- Total Rewards
- Employee Relations & Engagement
Earning credentials from HRCI speaks volumes about you, your organization, and the employees who put their trust in you. It distinguishes you as an expert in the HR field, with the competence necessary to mitigate risks and drive business results.
Call Ellen Steele at 828.210.1205 for more information or to enroll. You may also be interested in the HRCI vs SHRM comparison chart.
Human Resource Services
- Harassment Prevention for Employees: a training program in understanding what behaviors constitute harassment and how to use the employer's complaint procedure. This onsite training can be customized for your organization. A free video is also available for member use at any time.
- Harassment Prevention for Supervisors & Managers: an onsite training program to prepare employers for the likelihood of internal complaints, how to recognize inappropriate conduct in the workplace, and how to respond properly to prevent retaliation claims. This program is a member benefit.
- Individual Communications Mentoring: this program helps your select employees improve their communication skills, through four (4) biweekly coaching and mentoring sessions that include a behavioral assessment, communications self-analysis, customized communications training, and assertiveness skill development
- Union Avoidance Training: this onsite training for supervisors and managers will raise awareness of why employees seek representation, organization tactics, new NLRB rules for organization, and their role in prevention.
- Employee Engagement: this onsite seminar explores a low-cost initiative to move your workforce from apathetic to engaged, based on research by Dr. Paul Marciano's 7 drivers of employee engagement.
- HR Projects: our HR experts are available to assist you with projects on a fee-for-service basis, including larger scale HR audits, handbook development, job analyses, affirmative action plans, mentoring, and more.