Human Resource Development
Very few people have formal training in human resources before assuming an HR position. Often, these professionals earn their slots through their people skills and company experience. In this era of rapidly-changing regulation, it is vital that HR professionals stay current with legalities and best practices that apply to their businesses. Our mission is to be the leading human resource partner for employers in Western North Carolina. For more information call WCI at 828.667.3311 or download the current HR brochure.
Human Resource Member Benefits
- HR Training: all publicly offered HR training classes are member benefits (no charge)
- HR Hotline: unlimited telephone counsel from our HR advisors
- Attorney Services: 4 hours of free legal counsel from leading attorneys in business and employment law
- HR Answers Now: online access to our loaded toolbox of HR compliance documents, sample policies & forms, and daily articles on best practices
- HR Publications: NC Employer's Desk Manual and a full range of employer compliance and workplace posters are provided to members
- HR Audits: complimentary reviews of I-9 and other basic HR functions
- See all the benefits of WCI Membership
HR1 Regional Seminar - Double Vision FMLA+ADA
New for 2020! What do you do when laws collide? Everyday HR situations may create overlaps between FMLA and ADA regulations. Employment attorney Sabrina Presnell Rockoff will help you navigate the basics of each law and the complex issues that blur the boundaries when both laws apply. No cost for members.
HR1 Training Events
HR1 Hickory - Double Vision FMLA+ADA
HR1 Asheville - Double Vision FMLA+ADA
HR1 Boone - Double Vision FMLA+ADA
HR1 Shelby - Double Vision FMLA+ADA
HR2 Regional Seminar - Can't We All Just Get Along?
New topic for election year! Politics, persuasion, and point-of-view in the workplace can create all kinds of problems, including turnover. As the 2020 political campaign moves into full swing, it's a great time to promote respect in the workplace. Can we talk politics at work? Should we? What boundaries should we have for controversial subjects? Join us for the answers. No cost for members.
HR2 Training Events
HR2 Hickory - Can't We All Just Get Along?
HR2 Shelby - Can't We All Just Get Along?
HR2 Asheville - Can't We All Just Get Along?
HR2 Boone - Can't We All Just Get Along?
WCI conducts two major conferences each year.
- Our HR Forum is a labor law conference that will expand your knowledge of employer compliance issues that will protect your organization from potential penalties, litigation, and risk. Topics are presented by attorneys from the Ogletree Deakins law firm. Our next HR Forum is April 22, 2020. INFORMATION & REGISTRATION
- Our Issues in the Workplace interactive conference focuses on current challenges facing employers today, featuring member panel discussions, attorneys from McGuire Wood & Bissette law firm, and insightful and innovative speakers. Our next Issues in the Workplace conference is October 28, 2020.
WCI Summer Series - Recorded Webcasts
A bite-sized series of employment law updates for HR professionals during June, July, and August. Participate by live stream or the recorded sessions at your convenience. Members can access the recorded archive of previous sessions (login required).
HR3 Regional Seminar
A new topic is under development for 2020 and will be posted here when scheduled.
HR3 Training Events
HR4 Regional Seminar - Background Screening and the FCRA
Learn the best practices for employers who conduct background screening, whether single or multi-state, what screening vendors need to provide, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act issues that affect these practices. No cost for members.
HR4 Training Events
HR4 - Background Screening & the FCRA - Boone
HR4 - Background Screening & the FCRA - Shelby
HR Certification Guided Study
A popular and proven way to prepare for the national HRCI certification exams for PHR or SPHR. This program is a member benefit, for only the cost of study materials, and does not include the cost of the HRCI application or exam. Through five podcasts and telephone mentoring, plus personal study time, participants can significantly improve their odds of passing the exam. The following areas will be studied:
- Business Management & Strategy
- Workforce Planning & Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Compensation & Benefits
- Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management
Call Ellen Steele at 828.210.1205 for more information or to enroll. You may also be interested in the HRCI vs SHRM comparison chart.
Human Resource Services
- Harassment Prevention for Employees: a training program in understanding what behaviors constitute harassment and how to use the employer's complaint procedure. This onsite training can be customized for your organization. A free video is also available for member use at any time.
- Harassment Prevention for Supervisors & Managers: an onsite training program to prepare employers for the likelihood of internal complaints, how to recognize inappropriate conduct in the workplace, and how to respond properly to prevent retaliation claims. This program is a member benefit.
- Union Avoidance Training: this onsite training for supervisors and managers will raise awareness of why employees seek representation, organization tactics, new NLRB rules for organization, and their role in prevention.
- Employee Engagement: this onsite seminar explores a low-cost initiative to move your workforce from apathetic to engaged, based on research by Dr. Paul Marciano's 7 drivers of employee engagement.
- HR Projects: our HR experts are available to assist you with projects on a fee-for-service basis, including larger scale HR audits, handbook development, job analyses, affirmative action plans, mentoring, and more.