Safety Awards Banquet
The annual NC Department of Labor's Safety Awards Program recognizes private and public firms throughout the state that achieve and maintain good safety records. The program is designed to stimulate interest in accident prevention and to promote safety in the workplace, by providing an incentive to employers and employees to maintain a safe and healthy workplace. For more information, see the NC Department of Labor website. WCI sponsors the annual Asheville Regional Safety Awards Banquet each year.
Our 2021 banquet, originally scheduled for September 9 at DoubleTree, has been changed to a virtual format due to safety concerns. Those who have already registered, along with all award recipients, will be notified of the new date and time and provided with a Zoom meeting link.
WCI offers our members a variety of safety services to help them comply with OSHA requirements, train their people, provide expertise, and improve the safety of their workplaces. For more information, call David Snook at 800.621.2685.
- Safety Hotline: telephone/email counsel with our safety expert at no charge for members - hotline request (login required)
- Safety Audit: available through our safety consultant (fee for service)
- Safety Consulting: on-site guidance and project work through our safety consultant (fee for service)
Here's some simple advice for starting your safety and health program from OSHA
Onsite Safety Training
The following onsite safety training programs are available. Call David Snook at 828.667.3311 for information and pricing.
- OSHA 10-hour and 30-hour for General Industry
- OSHA 10-hour and 30-hour for Construction
- Powered Industrial Truck and Forklift Safety
- Hazwoper 8-hour, 24-hour, and 40-hour
- Hazard Communication
- Lockout / Tagout
- First Aid, CPR, AED, Bloodborne Pathogens
- Confined Space Entry and Rescue
- Many more training options available
Forklift (Powered Industrial Truck) Training
By law, forklift operators must be trained, and employers are responsible for it. Here are some ways to provide this training:
- Onsite forklift (PIT) operations and safety training for your group, provided by WCI safety trainers
- Onsite forklift (PIT) train the trainer, including operations and instruction techniques, provided by WCI safety trainers in 4-hours
- One-day classroom or virtual forklift (PIT) train the trainer, provided by WCI safety trainers (public classes unlikely during the pandemic)
On-site monitoring is available. Call David Snook at 828.667.3311 for information and pricing.
- Exposure Assessments of any hazardous materials in the workplace, taking into account the material characteristics, engineering controls in use, employee proximity, and exposure duration
- Air Monitoring using NIOSH and OSHA methods when available, standard calibration practices, established exposure limits, and sample analyses from AIHA accredited laboratories
- Noise Monitoring of workplaces, including area noise measurement, facility noise mapping, and personal dosimetry; comparisons and further analyses also available
- Community Noise Surveys that measure 24-hour environmental noise outside your facility at a target area or property line and compared to local ordinances, guidelines, and standards
- Respirator Fit Testing to measure respiratory hazards and chemical exposures, plus qualitative and quantitative fit testing services and program development